Sunday, April 6, 2014

Take Me For A Ride


(actually written)
20 February 2014

The cat’s finally out of the bag…in other words, Dad told Mom, about the fact that I am out and about on the streets of Jakarta driving my little motorbike. In November, I bought a bike to drive to and from school every day.  I usually had no problem with the school’s provided transport in the mornings. I could catch the bus at 5.45 a.m. and then get some work done before I started my school day at 6.30. The slightly annoying part was that the transport for taking the teachers home was rarely, if ever, on time. Factor that with it being a bus that usually gets stuck in traffic, and you have one reason for the purchase. Not to mention, the fact that a lot of the other teachers already had bikes. Catching a ride after school or going on motorbike adventures on the weekend was way too much fun to miss out on. 

Yes, the traffic is absolutely horrendous, but on the motorbike I can weave in and out of the cars, buses and baja (the small, covered three-wheel motorcycles that are hired for short distances). It’s the exact opposite of the first time I drove in Lombok, during the surfing weekend. I’m getting a lot better at driving, though, and it’s not as stressful anymore. So, there’s my intentionally “hidden” update about driving in Jakarta. Hopefully I’ll have a video of a typical drive to school or around the city before I leave. 

And, please don't worry about me driving...*cough MOM and DAD! Love you both!
My pink work uniform really completes the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment